Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Reading Naked Lunch


As I've stated in a previous post, I'm again attempting to read Naked Lunch. I took it off the book shelf the other day, but I didn't start to read it until today. This is my first time reading it on amphetamines. For the first time I was able to sit and read the book for more than a half hour at a time. I made it to page 77 the restored text edition of the book. Just in case you happen to have a copy, and want to know what part I'm on right now, you can see. As long as you have the restored text edition of the book. If not, the page numbers are probably a little different.
Burroughs with gun. He accidently shot his wife in the head while doing the shoot the apple off the top of head trick (I forget the name, is it the Teller trick?)

I also went to the back of the book and read the original introduction, letters form William S. Burroughs to the editor, and by far the most interesting part of (in back of the book) Naked Lunch is" Letters From a Master Addict to Dangerous Drugs" in which Burroughs talks about the effects of the drugs he has used, and also writes about how addictive certain drugs are. Most noteablely he writes about cures, and speculates to why morphine is addicting and Coke isn’t. Everything he writes here is clear and concise. If you are not an addict I suggest you Google "Letters from a Master Addict to Dangerous Drugs" by William S. Burroughs. He puts into words something I thought was ineffable. I find his notes, and thoughts on the different cure most interesting. When he writes about the psychological addiction, after the physical addiction, and what cure he has taken that have to an extent relieved this psychological addiction.
Willaim S. Burroughs circa 1959


For me the psychological withdrawals are the worst. I can suffer the pain of the physical withdrawals if I know there is no possible way I can get any type of opiate to relieve the withdrawals. If I wasn't on methadone right now, and was reading this book, or any book having to do with opiates, even if I see a syringe in doctor’s office when I'm not using any type of opiate, I will have an immediate and intense craving for heroin. I will fixate on it, and not stop until I get high. Even while on methadone I've still had psychological cravings for heroin. The proof is in the pudding, just go into my past posts. This is the first time I've had no urge to use heroin or any other opiate while reading about it. I'm not sure what has changed. Perhaps my last relapse has settled my appetite for opiates. I'm still interested in the subject, mainly because I can relate to the subject so much.

I also think I figured out why I've never been able to follow the book. It is NOT a novel. There is no set structure to the book, and in that is the structure of the book. There is a lot of non-sense in the book. Made up words, and the use of 40's slang in multiple languages. I like the gore, and the rawness of the book. The prose is brilliant. I'd compare the gore Burroughs makes so beautiful to bleakness and gore Shane aka HeroinHead's makes so beautiful with his prose here in blogger land. Shane HeroinHead has been compared to many great authors and poets.

I’m pretty sure; tonight or tomorrow I’ll finish Naked Lunch, write a critique/book report and understand the book as much as it is supposed to be understood.



Note: When I said I never followed Naked Lunch because there is a lot of Spanish in it, I was thinking of a different Burroughs book, Wild Boys, the book of the dead.  

10 comments:

Anna Young said...

I addressed the precieved descrepancy about my virginity in the "i got my period before all the other girls" post. You need to read the post carefully. I did not say I lost my virginty when I was 16. I said I dident have sex again after loosing my virginty until I was 16. Idiot.

Anna Young said...

Raligh North Carolina, I know your the anonymous idiot who leaves idiotic anonymous comments. I have your IP address labled because YOU READ MY BLOG SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!

Why don't you stop reading if you don't believe a word I write. Just go away. Crawl in some hole and die for all I care. I will not publish any of your comments. my as well stop leaving them. It will be really eaisy to not leave comments because you should not be reading a "fictisios" blog

FUCK OFF!

Bev said...

I never read Naked Lunch I heard about it.I dont like it when ppl dont tell things to your face.If i dont like some one they will know because I tell them.Not a back stabber.

Gledwood said...

That guy was on heroin for decades... I heard he took a quarter ounce a day of china white heroin.

What I'd like to know is: How the fuck could he afford to fund that habit?~~???

Anna Young said...

Yeah, Burroughs was a hardcore junky. Interestingly in his books he writes more about using morphine as apposed to heroin. He even moved to Mexico for a long time because "croakers" corrupt doctors would write out morphine sripts to anybody with enough money, and paid for it under the table.

He could afford his habbit because he came from a wealthy family and was allowed a generious allowance every month. So he never really had to work, and could live life, and write.

He had two children with his wife, who he killed accidently. Yes, he was married even though he was gay. I guess that would make him bisexual but he refers to himself as a homosexual.

All in all he led a very interesting life. You should read up on him, and check out the book Junky by him.

I wonder where his children are now? I think after his wife died the children went to live with family members of their mother.

A good movie about Burroughs killing his wife, and is pretty much about the time of his life when he was living what he later wrote about in the book Queer. Its called Beat. Courtney Love plays Bill Burroughs' wife.

Anna Young said...

You say your not anywhere near North Carolina, well I know your IP address is 65.190.35.8 and you read my blog on your ipad.

I also know its not just my blog you leave idiotic comments on. A number of us bloggers who write about heroin and alternitive lifestyles have looked to see who is leaving these comments, and using the same writing style, and compared IP addresses of the commenters or I should say commenter. Sure enough it was the same IP address.

If you don't live in Raleigh North Carolina I can find where you do live. Although your most likely lieing about where you live. Now who is the lier. Don't worry, I'll go back and look up your IP address and track it back to road runner your ISP, and eventually back to the house/work address you are looking at my blog from. I can find out the email address, and name of the person who pays the bill for Internet. Then I look up facebook pages. Learn all about you.

Man, I love statcounter. I love the upgrade I added to my computer to track IP addresses. Now I just need a keystoke device, and I could ruin your life. I don't need to do that, because your life already sucks. I can tell because you hate me, and my blog so much, and say I'm lieng about everything yet you read my nearly everday, and then leave commments to try to make yourself feel better about your pathetic life.

I hope you don't have kids. Your not paying any attention to your kids, instead your busy reading a bunch of junky blogs, and leaving stupid comments, that I don't even publish. I shouldn't even comment on your comments, and I won't after I track your IP address to your email address. Then I can just leave you nasty emails. Oh yes, you should set your facebook to be visiable to only freinds because when I track you down, I'm definatly going to look at your facebook page.

Anna Young said...

You make me laugh you are so stupid. I dare you to call OFPD. I never publish your comments, and if what you say about your ip address is true then I'm just posting comments on my blog to some ANONYMOUS IDIOT!

Good job stalking me. Oooh, I'm so scared OFPD knows of me. I don't even live in that county. Your so fucking stupid it's hilarious. The fact that you keep entertaing me, by posting more comments. I'm litterly laughing out loud. Lol.

Carrion Doll said...

Hello Anna, back again to do my annual catching up. I am glad to see you are still around and writing. Don't ever stop. And yes, Shane is fucking brilliant. I need to do my catch up with him too. Can't wait to see what you have been up to. Take care my lovely.
~Carrion Doll aka Marisa, fellow former junkie at arms~

Anna Young said...

Raleigh NC, go look at my comments on the oink oink post. Read the last one, it's your ip address.

Lier lier pants on fire nose ass long as a your ip address.

I can't wait till I get time to track your ip to you email and facebook.

You've been tracked now everyone can be aware of this ip address, and know it's a total loser who gets their kicks by leaving idiotic comments.

I'm posting a video of my self reading your last comment, it is so friggen hilarious. Peeing my pants funny.
Calling the Oconto Falls police...hahaha. I so wish you would.
I can't write anymore about that comment, I can't wait to video reading it and posting here and on youtube, with your ip address so real hackers can get your little ipad. Lol.

jade said...

Many years ago I watch a movie made of Naked Lunch and man was it CONFUSEING ! if i remember right instead of drugs the main character had a bug spay addiction or some such shit! of course that was long before I ever started useing any opiates myself and had very little understanding of that unique lifestyle. Anyway I wouldn't mind watching it again see if it still seems so werid.