Monday, September 24, 2012

I want to breath you in like a cigarette


Remember when I said I hated the book "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"? Well after seeing the film I was changed. I was a fan...of the movie. I had never finished the book before I saw the movie. I had only read a little over 200 pages. I didn't even know about the rape scene. The director David Fitcher, the same guy who directed one of my favorite films "Fight  Club" was the director of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I had read "Fight Club" before I saw the film, I was expecting it to be let down. I figured that the book would be better, as they always (usually) are. I had no idea the director would pull off a book about a man with two personalities so beautifully. Well, he sure as hell pulled it OFF!! I ended up liking the movie better than the book. Rare, very rare.  

When I went to see "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" I had no idea David Fitcher was the director. I figured it out during the opening credits even before it said "A David Fitcher Film" His camera work is unmistakable. I became very excited when I saw indeed it was David Fitcher's film. As I had expected he turned a book I thought too "wordy" into a masterpiece. As soon as I got home I read the entire book in one night. Even though I knew what happened I wanted to see how close he came to executing making the book into the film. I quickly downloaded the 


second book in the trilogy when I finished the first, so when the next movie comes out I'm on top of it. I don't know who is directing the adaptation of the second book, The Girl who Played with Fire". I'm extremely excited to see if he or she lives up to first film. I've see a still shot of the second film and its amazing.

When I read The Girl who Played with Fire I no longer found the book too "wordy" or too "descriptive". I found the book much easier to get into than the first. I'm not sure if the reason is because I saw the adaptation of the book into film, or because I read the entire first book the day before and was in a hurry to find out what happens next? Either or, I flew through the second book in a day and a half. I wanted to read the third, and last book, The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest", but I had no money on my debit card, and I was unable to download the book to my nook. I told myself I'd buy it next month when I got paid...I didn't. 

Before I knew it I was hooked on Victorian Literature, and didn't want to read any newer novels. One exception is memories, I'm always willing to read a good memoir. Certain memories I should say, drug and mental illness suffers memories'. I've been reading older books for a few months now, actually ever since I went back to the Methadone clinic which was a year ago on the 29th of this month. Yesterday I decided it is time for me to read a newer novel, because the book I'm trying to write is starting to read like an old Victorian novel. Does anybody else start to write like the author they are reading at the moment? I sure do. So I went to my nook ( I haven't read any books on my new nook yet) and I downloaded "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest".  I started reading last night around 8pm, and I stayed up until about 11pm. I only got about 50 pages in if that. Again I'm having trouble getting into the book. So today I went and re read the last three chapters of the second book so I could remember what the hell was going on. After I finished those three chapters, I decided to write this post about it, and now I'm going to begin reading "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest"

9 comments:

Anna Young said...

I lied, I didn't only read old Victorian Novels and memoirs, I did read a modern novel. Actually three. I read "The Hunger Games" trilogy since I started back on the methadone.
Anna Grace

Faith Bookworm said...

Here is a list of books/mostly memoirs/biographies you might enjoy:

Blood and Guts in High School by Kathy Acker (fiction - she is often said to be a female William S. Burroughs)

Fire in the Belly: The Life and Times of David Wojnarowicz by C. Carr (about the artist/censored by NEA/AIDS activist)

Dirty Blonde The Diaries of Courtney Love

Courtney Love The Real Story by Poppy Z Brite

Kurt Cobain Journals

The Adderall Diaries by Stephen Elliott

Another Bullshit Night in Suck City A Memoir by Nick Flynn (there is a movie adaptation of this w/DeNiro playing the Dad)

Alice Neel by Phoebe Hoban

American Hipster: A Life of Herbert Huncke, The Times Square Hustler who Inspired the Beat Movement by Hilary Holladay (this isn't published yett - publication date is 10-6-12)

Cherry: A Memoir by Mary Karr (she's a poet/writing professor)
The Liar's Club: A Memoir by Mary Karr
Lit: A Memoir by Mary Karr

A Natural Woman: A Memoir by Carole King

Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk by Legs McNeil

Half in Love: Surviving the Legacy of Suicide by Lynda Gray Sexton (she is the poet Anne Sexton's daughter)

Just Kids by Patti Smith (she is coming out with a sequel to this)

Wild: From Lost to Found on The Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

City Boy: My Life in New York during the 1960's and 1970's by Edmund White

Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel

More, Now, Again: A Memoir of Addiction by Elizabeth Wurtzel

The Chronology of Water: A Memoir by Lidia Yuknavitch (she's a professor of English at a public community college in Oregon. She might be a good teacher for you)

Faith Bookworm said...

Also these memoirs:

History of a Suicide My Sister's Unfinished Life by Jill Bialosky

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion (a memoir)

Joseph Anton: A Memoir by Salman Rushdie (this just came out last week about when he had to go into hiding)

Faith Bookworm said...

Oh yeah I forgot to mention there is a graphic novel (comic book) coming out November 6, 2012 by Ellen Forney called Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo and Me: A Graphic Memoir that you might like too. Oh and Linda Gray Sexton spells Linda with an I not Y. I think I typed it before as Lynda.

Faith Bookworm said...

Hi Anna. I posted a long comment before but I don't know if Blogger ate it.

Here is a list of books/mostly memoirs/biographies you might enjoy:

Blood and Guts in High School by Kathy Acker (fiction - she is often said to be a female William S. Burroughs)

Fire in the Belly: The Life and Times of David Wojnarowicz by C. Carr (about the artist/censored by NEA/AIDS activist)

Dirty Blonde The Diaries of Courtney Love

Courtney Love The Real Story by Poppy Z Brite

Kurt Cobain Journals

The Adderall Diaries by Stephen Elliott

Another Bullshit Night in Suck City A Memoir by Nick Flynn (there is a movie adaptation of this w/DeNiro playing the Dad)

Alice Neel by Phoebe Hoban

American Hipster: A Life of Herbert Huncke, The Times Square Hustler who Inspired the Beat Movement by Hilary Holladay (this isn't published yett - publication date is 10-6-12)

Cherry: A Memoir by Mary Karr (she's a poet/writing professor)
The Liar's Club: A Memoir by Mary Karr
Lit: A Memoir by Mary Karr

A Natural Woman: A Memoir by Carole King

Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk by Legs McNeil

Half in Love: Surviving the Legacy of Suicide by Lynda Gray Sexton (she is the poet Anne Sexton's daughter)

Just Kids by Patti Smith (she is coming out with a sequel to this)

Wild: From Lost to Found on The Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

City Boy: My Life in New York during the 1960's and 1970's by Edmund White

Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel

More, Now, Again: A Memoir of Addiction by Elizabeth Wurtzel

The Chronology of Water: A Memoir by Lidia Yuknavitch (she's a professor of English at a public community college in Oregon. She might be a good teacher for you)

Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo and Me: A Graphic Memoir by Ellen Forney (out 11-6-2012)
(This is a graphic novel (like a comic book)

Anna Young said...

Thank you faith bookworm. I'm excited to read, "History of a Suicide, my sisters unfinished life". I'm curious how the survivors feel after they lose a loved one from suicide.

As I do plan on taking my own life. I'm holding out for my parents to pass away before I do it. They have skyway lost a daughter to drinking and driving in 2003. I saw how distraute they were at my little sisters death, and I don't want to cause them that much pain.

It will be interesting to read how one family survived a suicide, and to see if maybe my parents would hold up. I'm the only surviving child.

Please God if you're listening ,please let my suicide not hurt anyone.
I don't want to go past 35.

have possess away

Anna Young said...

My Grandfather killed himself when I was seven in our garage, and then a babysitter shot himself right in front of me, my lil sis, and his son. I've never been able to shake the fasination with suicide since. I first attempted to kill myself at age 9 by swallowing a plastic baggie. I didn't think to breath it in instead of swallowing. No-one ever found out about that first one.
Anna Grace

Faith Bookworm said...

Hi Anna. You're welcome. I read your blog so that's why I recommended the Jill Bialosky book. I got that book as a bargain book. Stores might carry it for like $5-$6. I tried posting these other recommendations but I don't know what happened to the post. My 21 year cousin committed suicide via gunshot & a friend of a friend who was bipolar jumped in front of train. In high school I had a thing for Sylvia Plath biographies. She's my fave poet.

Here is a list of books/mostly memoirs/biographies you might enjoy:

Blood and Guts in High School by Kathy Acker (fiction - she is often said to be a female William S. Burroughs)

Fire in the Belly: The Life and Times of David Wojnarowicz by C. Carr (about the artist/censored by NEA/AIDS activist)

Dirty Blonde The Diaries of Courtney Love

Courtney Love The Real Story by Poppy Z Brite

Kurt Cobain Journals

The Adderall Diaries by Stephen Elliott

Another Bullshit Night in Suck City A Memoir by Nick Flynn (there is a movie adaptation of this w/DeNiro playing the Dad)

Alice Neel by Phoebe Hoban

American Hipster: A Life of Herbert Huncke, The Times Square Hustler who Inspired the Beat Movement by Hilary Holladay (this isn't published yett - publication date is 10-6-12)

Cherry: A Memoir by Mary Karr (she's a poet/writing professor)
The Liar's Club: A Memoir by Mary Karr
Lit: A Memoir by Mary Karr

A Natural Woman: A Memoir by Carole King

Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk by Legs McNeil

Half in Love: Surviving the Legacy of Suicide by Lynda Gray Sexton (she is the poet Anne Sexton's daughter)

Just Kids by Patti Smith (she is coming out with a sequel to this)

Wild: From Lost to Found on The Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

City Boy: My Life in New York during the 1960's and 1970's by Edmund White

Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel

More, Now, Again: A Memoir of Addiction by Elizabeth Wurtzel

The Chronology of Water: A Memoir by Lidia Yuknavitch (she's a professor of English at a public community college in Oregon - Mount Hood Commnunity College. Might be cool to live in Oregon. Don't know if that school is near Portland. Portland sounds like a cool town. She might be a good teacher for you)

Also Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo and Me: A Graphic Memoir by Ellen Forney (this is a graphic novel/comic book. The publication date is 11-6-2012.)

Faith Bookworm said...

Some more book recommendations that you might like (or not):

Portrait of the Addict as a Young Man A Memoir by Bill Clegg

90 Days: A Memoir of Recovery by Bill Clegg

Close to the Bone: Memoirs of Hurt, Rage and Despair by Jane Creighton, Jerry Stahl, Catherine Texier, Lois Gould (anthology + other writers)

Times Square Red, Times Square Blue by Samuel R. Delany

Naked in the Promised Land A Memoir by Lillian Faderman

Thing of Beauty: The Tragedy of Supermodel Gia by Stephen Fried (about Gia Carangi)

How to Stop Time Heroin from A to Z by Ann Marlowe

And I Don't Want to Live this Life: The Story of Her Daughter's Murder by Deborah Spungen (about Nancy Spungen)

Breakup: The End of A Love Story by Catherine Texier

Seven Tattoos: A Memoir by Peter Trachtenberg

Close to the Knives A Memoir of Disintegration by David Wojnarowicz

Low Rent: A Decade of Prose and Photographs from the Portable Lower East Side by Kurt Hollander


Fiction:

Glory Goes and Gets Some: Stories by Emily Carter

Two Girls Fat and Thin by Mary Gaitskill
Because They Wanted to by Mary Gaitskill
Veronica by Mary Gaitskill
Don't Cry : Stories by Mary Gaitskill

The Fuck-Up by Arthur Nersesian

Snitch Factory by Peter Plate

No Lease on Life: A Novel by Lynne Tillman

Whores for Gloria A Novel by William T Vollmann

The Story of Junk by Linda Yablonsky (out of print/hard to get though)

Dora A Headcase A Novel by Lidia Yuknavitch/intro by Chuck Pahlaniuk