Monday, October 1, 2012

Cathouse Antique Iron Beds

Well hello there peeps. Its been a few days hasn't it. I haven't had anything to write about so I felt I wouldn't bore you with my ramblings. I really don't have much to write about today, but I'm board, and as an amature writer I should be writing at least 1,000 words a day. I would estimate I only write 300 words in my paper journal. So I need to write at least 700 words in my blog posts. I don't know if I'll be able to manage that today.

I guess the really cool thing that happened to me has to do with the picture of the bed I posted with Kurt Cobain lying in it. I have been scouring the web for austere iron beds like the one in the aforementioned picture. I came across a store called "Cathouse Antique Iron Beds". I emailed Cathouse with a picture of the bed Kurt is lying in. The man who owns the store emailed me back, and said it was funny I sent him that particular photo, as he was the one who sold the bed to Kurt and Courtney back in 1992. Of course upon hear this, I had to buy my bed from them. They are based in California so I had the owner send me photos of beds that were similar to the bed in the photo I sent. I told him I only had between 100 and 300 dollars to spend. This is before he mentioned he had sold the bed in the picture I sent. When he emailed me back and told me his lowest priced bed is 700 dollars all the way up to a few thousand dollars. I emailed him back and told him I can manage up to 2,000 dollars. So he sent me photos of about 26 different iron bed frame. I looked through almost all the pictures and I couldn't find one that was exactly what I wanted, but the picture in the last email was the bed I've been looking for. Lucky for me it was only $888.00 dollars.

I can't afford to pay over 800.00 dollars in one payment, so he told me about his payment plan option. I can pay one third down, and as much as I can after that. After I've paid the full amount the bed will be shipped to me. Cathouse Antique Iron Beds guarantees all his beds are originals and antique. They are so expensive because back in the day iron beds were very well made beds. Very heavy and durable. They don't depreciate in value, instead they appreciate in value each year. The particular bed I picked is from the 1800's. I wonder how many people were conceived in the bed, and or died in the bed? I can't wait to get my new old bed. It might be a few months though.

Other than that, I've been out of control shopping on the Internet. I just bought a bunch of pens from Barns and Noble. I bought a leather journal, and a nook satchel. Plus I bought two pairs of tights, and something else that I can't remember. I have to unplug for a while and stop buying stuff. I still need to pay my mom and dad back, and get a hair cut, and buy two cartons of cigarettes. If I keep spending like this I will have zero money left before I can make my payment on my new bed.


That's it for me.

12 comments:

Faith Bookworm said...

That's cool you found the same store that sold Kurt's bed.

Found this article on Courtney Love's townhouse & her interior decorating:

http://www.xojane.com/entertainment/courtney-love-responds-to-eviction-rumors

Faith Bookworm said...

I recently got an 8 pack in assorted colors of these Papermate Inkjoy pens. They were like $2 something on sale.

http://inkjoy.papermate.com/Default.aspx?languageCode=US#/detail

Gledwood said...

That second bed looks like one that might have been used for shock treatments in a 1950s mental asylum..!

Gledwood said...

PS do you think the bed you get will have ultra-squeaky springs..?

Bev said...

I thouht you where geting a brass bed?These are nice to.XoXo

Anonymous said...

I would check out the reviews on cathousebeds.com and the complaints with the BBB before I send any more money.

Anonymous said...

Hi could I ask did you receive your bed and are you happy with it? I ask as I have endured a long and difficult relationship with Cathouse Beds which started with my naively allowing myself to believe I would ever
receive the exact bed Craig (then) insisted I pay 100% for up front and via wire transfer and which it later transpired he had knowingly re-sold to another party despite being in possession of my money for this. Many years later I am still without a bed or a refund not least because I cannot afford to enter into a legal dispute with Cathouse Beds. I am aware I am not the only complainant and it would appear those others felt their only way forward was to make their complaint public. Until that date my issue is rectified will happily provide further details to anyone interested in hearing about my somewhat convoluted experience.

Anonymous said...

Paid for my Cathouse bed and NEVER got it nor my money back 3 years later.

Anna Young said...

Thanks for the advise! I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. I read the complaints and canceled my hold on the bed I had wanted. I lost my $100.00 deposit I payed to guarantee the bed I wanted woulden't be sold. Sadly the Cathouse Beds are not at all reliable not to mention over priced. The bed I ended up buying cost me $40.00 for the frame, $60.00 to get it sand blasted, $25.00 to prime and paint (I did that part myself.) Paint brushes, and paint thinner costed another $20.00, I bought the Cadaliac of paint brushes, at $6-$7 something like that, paint thinner $2.75.
Finding the type of Iron Rod Bed frames I wanted was rather simple. I tried eBay, and there were many iron rod beds that fit the type I wanted, which was a late 1800s to 1930's auster two inch tubing with rounded corners, and the rods the were vertical I wanted to go strait up and down in a clean and sleek look. There is small intricate decorative things at the top of the vertical (and ends) of the tubing between the main 2 inch horizontal tubes . The bed didn't come with the original springs, so I ended up paying the most money for a mattress & box spring. I coulden't gat a traditional box spring because they are too high, add a mattress on top and much of the bed frame would be hidden by them. So I Googled specialty made mattress and box spring inexpensive for antique iron rod bed. Btw, my bed is just a inch or three smaller than double. Not a 2/3s bed, not a twin or queen either, just a pre fat american full/double. Anyway I found a guy who is a mattress wholesaler with springs made to fit these types of old beds, and a 8 inch mattress so all the iron work shows, and the head n foot board of the frame.
eBay had some good deals, but shipping is super expensive a $100.00 eBay bed, and that's just the bed frame no mattress. I called all the antique dealers within 60 miles away and asked if they had any iron beds in the store. The 3rd store On my list and just outside 15 miles of Green Bay.

Anonymous said...

From Addict Anthony: Anna I'm so lost. I cannot find my way out of this horrid cycle of addiction, pain, sickness and despair.Nothing inspires me i am completly lost inside my own soul and body.This is the first time in a long time anything has captures my attention that was not an opiate.Your brutal honesty and unwavering sense of despair is relative to me. Your deep blue eyes are full if pain and depth like the oceans abroad. I wonder how you are. If you are OK. I don't wonder the same for myself. I know I'm lost. Do you have any words for a fellow sailor in these troubled waters? Please for a moment pretend to care and I will too. Anthony

Anna Young said...

Addict Anthony, its funny you ask me for words of wisdom, when I'm lost, blind, sad, and heartbroken. Heartbroken long story, he doesn't even know I like him sexually. For a little insight as to how inept I am to give advice, last night I took a bunch of speed, and drove home from the buy and had to cross the Leo Frigo Bridge in Green Bay WI to get home, and at around 6pm I was crossing and there wasn't much traffic so I pulled over and got out of my car just to see what it would feel like to stand on the edge looking sooo far down at the Bay if a Green Bay and Fox River intersect and it was so cold and windy out there, and my fingers hurt as I crawled up onto the ledge and I got up there saw the night sky, and the dark abyss of the frozen fox river and I was so lazy and didn't want to take my hands outta my pockets and get down so I kept telling myself to jump, but I kept seeing my mom and dad alone both children dead, and nothing but pain for them. I can't be so selfish, and we r getting old soon I'll have no one to worry about being devastated at my death, and cars were passing honking, one guy yelled jump which made me laugh and then I saw the squad cars lights in the distance so I quick crawled down hopped in my car and sped off. No-one bothered to stop but I'm sure most called 911. I was off the Hwy long before the squad made it to the bridge. I'm sorta scared they got my plates and I'll get a fine in the mail for taking a risk. Anthony all I can say is thank god for methadone, Xanax, speed, to keep the pain from being too much to stand, and end up being really fucking selfish. I live for my parents. What do u got to live for? I'm sure someone would be crushed if u offed or ODed.
U can email me and I'll give u my # to text. ppfaceannagrace@gmail.com

Anna Young said...

My advice is Methadone so u got a steady supply and don't gotta go sick so often.